Sunday, June 15, 2014

Parental Alienation: Happy Father's Day?

While I always request a spa/shopping day or a day shut in my room reading or watching movies away from my child on Mother's Day, my husband always wants to spend Father's Day with Joely. I usually attribute this to the fact that I do all the work around here (and let's be honest, that's 50% true), but I'm starting to realize it has to do with appreciating being a father to his son. I realize I have what I term, "mother privilege." No one will ever question my maternity. No one can deny me my son. No one can put someone else's name on his birth certificate or give him a last name different from mine. These are all things I take for granted. Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there fighting for their kids and/or experiencing parental alienation. Keep fighting. We had no idea the impact we had on our daughter's life. We assumed that since we were basically shut out of her life, we weren't important to her. We couldn't be further from the truth. Keep on fighting, warriors!

No comments:

Post a Comment